Tuesday 5 March 2019

My Leask Tree


Early in my research I sent for any documents I could find pertaining to the Leasks in Windham, Ontario. I made the assumption that any Leasks in that area were descendants of my James and Jane, but it turns out this was not always true.

Family tradition is that Abram was the first to bring his wife Mary and young family to Ontario. Through my research I not only discovered Abrams wife was a Leask, I also found that some of her siblings had come to the Windham, Ontario area as well. I will explain my “proof” for each child in later posts.

This is a list of the possible sons and daughters of James Leask and Jane St. Clair of the Shetland Islands.

Samuel Leask (reason: lived in Norfolk; but no proof)
born about 1816 in the Shetland
married Agnes Jamieson 23 Dec 1850 in Townsend, Norfolk, Ontario
died 15 Sep 1863 in Townsend, Norfolk, Ontario

Abram Leask (reason: PS Griffin obit - Ellen was his sister)
born 26 Mar 1817 in Shetland
married Mary Leask 17 Feb 1842 in Shetland
died 23 May 1904 Port Dover, Norfolk, Ontario

Marion Leask (reason: baptismal record)
born 20 Feb 1823 in Shetland
married William Goodlet 11 April 1845 in Shetland
died 8 Feb 1906 


James Leask (reason: in right area, father was James & gap in births between sisters)
Born 14 Feb 1826 in Minn, Shetland
 
Nellie Ellen Leask (reason: 1851 Shetland census)
born 17 Feb 1829 in Shetland

married Henry Anderson about 1852 in Shetland
died 7 May 1906 Windham, Norfolk, Ontario

John Leask (reason: 1851 Shetland census)
born about 1836 in Shetland

Ellen Jane Leask (reason: 1851 Shetland census & marriage record)
born 28 June 1837 in Shetland
married Peter Smith Griffin 1 Jan 1861 in Windham, Norfolk, Ontario
died 2 June 1901 in Windham, Norfolk, Ontario

William Leask (reason: 1851 Shetland census)

born about 1840 in Shetland

(Laura Leask used to be on this list because she was found in Windham, but I have moved her to Mary's family as the Shetland census records list her with the George Leask family. More la
ter)

No comments:

Post a Comment