Saturday 31 October 2020

Introduction to the John Mills UEL family of Niagara & Norfolk, Ontario

 

Although I have worked on (but mainly ignored) this family for 45 years I think I finally understand why John Mills II’s children were born in Pennsylvania when they should have been born in Ontario.  And, why his order in council as the son of a loyalist was dated 1817 when he was probably in his 50’s. 

Unfortunately, “John Mill” is a very common name.  I have noticed a number of Mills trees on Ancestry have copied and re copied information without looking for original documents.  The Mills tree is becoming more and more tangled.  I am jumping into the fray and hopefully will be able to clarify how some information became attached to this family, but may not be correct.

In the 1970’s and 80’s I corresponded with Mary Lou Bacon, another Mills researcher and a descendant of Rachel (Mills) Graham.  She had collected a lot of material on the children of John I.  We were both trying to connect my Windham John Mills (II) with THE JOHN MILLS UE family of Clinton, Ontario.  The problem was trying to explain why at least three of my John Mills (II) children were born in Pennsylvania between 1795 and 1800.  Too late and too old for John II to be the child of loyalists was my thinking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment