Thursday 5 February 2015

McGregor lots in Caledon



McGregor land in Caledon, Ontario

Many years ago I visited the Peel County Land Record office and copied some of the land transactions pertaining to McGregor holdings in Caledon.  In Ontario important genealogical records are often attached to the land records.  To make the collected material more clear for this blog I decided to create an excel spreadsheet.  As I analyzed the material I realized I need to do more research to sort out the two John McGregors.

From what I can tell, our John McGregor purchased the NE & SW 1/2 of lot 20 5th concession on the 15th of Oct 1833.  This does coincide with the "Memorandum of John McGregor" which said that John and family took up residence on Lot 20, 5th concession 17 Sept 1833.

On the 1st of August 1834 John McGregor Sr. sold the SW 1/2 to John McGregor Jr.  (The term Jr & Sr was often used to distinguish between two individuals, not necessarily indicating any relationship.)

Who was the second John?  Was he a relative? A neighbour from Fortingall?  I knew the second John McGregor's son witnessed our John McGregor's will.  As I added more information to the spreadsheet I realized how interconnected the two John McGregor families were.  One of our John McGregor's lots was sold to John #2's relative and John #2 sold land to one of our  John's relatives.

Recently, during a file purging I threw out the will of the second John McGregor.  I do recall that he was a captain or a sergeant.  I will have to obtain another copy as well as copies of the indentures that are also filed with the land records.  Perhaps one of these documents will shed more light on the connection.

Here is the link to the spreadsheet:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-cVll9v9vtgUk1qa05xeGlTRkE/view?usp=sharing

No comments:

Post a Comment