Sunday 22 November 2015

THE NOBES FAMILY OF KINGSTON, ONTARIO



Genealogy – always lots of questions, never enough answers!



John Nobes
b:   02 Sep 1806
Briston, Norfolk, England d:   1860
Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario
Mary Beckham
b:   1808
Norwich, Norfolk, England d:   Abt. 1865
Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario

Great grandmother

Mary Ann Nobes
b:   11 May 1836
Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario
d:   29 Nov 1880
Cobourg, Ontario


Paternal grandmother

Sarah Elizabeth Oakley
b:   07 Feb 1860
Kingston, Frontenac, Ontario
 d:   05 Oct 1923
Vancouver, British Columbia


Father

George Samuel Powell
b:   29 Feb 1896
Vancouver, British Columbia
 d:   24 Aug 1963
Vancouver, British Columbia




Doreen Gwyneth Powell
b:   13 Jan 1924
Vancouver, British Columbia
 d:   28 Aug 2011
Chilliwack, British Columbia







The Nobes surname is found mainly in the Norfolk, England area and this is where our family was from.  Variations of spelling make it sometimes difficult to find the surname in the records.  I have seen it spelled Nobbs, Nob, Nobs and Knobes.

REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW - something I always try to keep in mind!  Sometimes I already have the information in my files but need to look at it in a different way to help the puzzle pieces fall into place. The Nobes family in general and John Nobes in particular have been one of my more elusive lines. 

       In the 1970’s a cousin sent me a copy of a transcription from the “Oakley Family Bible”.  I was never able to locate the bible.  The following is what I received:
Robert Oakley and Elizabeth Thomas married 35th day of November 1821 by George Matthews, Tregynon, Wales

Samuel, son of Robert and Elizabeth Oakley, born in Manchester, England May 20th, 1832

Mary Ann, daughter of John and Mary Nobes, of Norfolk, Virginia, born in Kingston, Ontario May 11, 1836
(Although the note says Virginia, I believe this was added by the transcriber.  Samuel Oakley married his 3rd wife in Norfolk, Virginia but his first wifes family were from Norfolk, England and I think this is where the confusion stems from.)

Samuel Oakley of Accrington, Lancashire, England and Mary Ann Nobes of Kingston were united in marriage at her father’s residence.
Wm Pollack Minister of the WM Church.

Until recently the above was all I knew about John Nobes.  Many years ago, practicing “desperation genealogy”, I wrote to all the Nobes in the Kingston phone book – I think there were 5.  Not one was a relation and all had come to Kingston at a much later date.  Still no luck in piecing this family together. 

Enter the internet…I finally found my Nobes family in the 1861 census in Kingston, Ontario.  This census also recorded information about people born or died in 1860, thus John & his granddaughter were included.  John died in 1860 at the age of 54 from a disease of the lungs, his granddaughter and my great grandmother Sarah Oakley was born in 1860.  Unfortunately it is not clear what John’s occupation was, but it looks like chanlor.  Chandler is a candle maker, candle seller, grocer or can provide ships with provisions. 



      
      Daughter Sarah’s marriage included her mother’s maiden name – Beckham and the 1861 census gave Brinton, Norfolk as John’s place of birth.  This led me to John & Mary’s marriage banns.




Brinton, Norfolk, England Marriage Banns 1828

            

But who were John’s parents?  More pondering and digging.  If a direct search doesn’t work I try other names.  Sophie Nobes was a witness to their marriage.  Was she John’s sister?   More digging and I found both of them in the family of John Nobes and Ann Chester.

No comments:

Post a Comment